"...will revolutionize the coin collecting experience."
New, Free PCGS PhotogradeTM Online
Available, iPhoneTM App Also Available
Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) has launched PCGS PhotogradeTM Online
as part of the recently revamped PCGS web site. An Apple iPhoneTM
version also is available.
Using high-resolution images from the extensive PCGS Grading Reference Set and other selected coins also archived with the acclaimed PCGS TrueViewTM photo service, collectors, dealers and the general public can match up their United States coins with the superb-quality online photos to determine their approximate grades and values of their coins.
PCGS Photograde Online is free, and provides detailed close-up photo images for 25 types of 19th and 20th century U.S. coinage issues in up to 12 different grades.
A special PCGS Photograde Online application for iPhones and the Apple iPod touchTM can be downloaded free from the Apple iTunes App Store. It will be demonstrated by PCGS during the upcoming Florida United Numismatists convention in Orlando.
"PCGS Photograde Online is one of the most useful, easy-to-use tools ever developed. While it is not a substitute for certification of authenticity and grade by PCGS experts, it will revolutionize the coin collecting experience. Even a novice will be able to estimate the grade by comparing his or her coin to the photo that most closely matches its condition," said Don Willis, PCGS President.
"Imagine walking through a coin show and being able to instantly bring up clear grading guide photos on your iPhone to compare with the coins you see offered for sale," said PCGS Co-Founder and Collectors Universe President David Hall.
The 25 series of denominations and designs now available online are:
- Indian Head cents, 1864 – 1909
- Lincoln cents, 1909 - date
- Liberty nickels, 1883 - 1913
- Indian/Buffalo, 1913 - 1938
- Jefferson nickels, 1938 - date
- Barber dimes, 1892 - 1916
- Winged Liberty/Mercury dimes, 1916 - 1945
- Roosevelt dimes, 1946 - date
- Barber quarters, 1892 - 1916
- Standing Liberty quarters, 1916 - 1930
- Washington quarters, 1932 - date
- Barber halves, 1892 - 1915
- Walking Liberty halves, 1916 - 1947
- Franklin halves, 1948 - 1963
- Kennedy halves, 1964 - date
- Morgan dollars, 1878 - 1921
- Peace dollars, 1921 - 1935
- Liberty Quarter Eagles, 1840 - 1907
- Indian Head Quarter Eagles, 1908 - 1929
- Liberty Half Eagles, 1839 -1908
- Indian Head Half Eagles, 1908 - 1929
- Liberty Eagles, 1838 - 1907
- Indian Head Eagles, 1907 - 1933
- Liberty Double Eagles. 1850 - 1907
- Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles, 1907 - 1933
Eventually, PCGS Photograde Online will include all major 18th, 19th and 20th century U.S. coinage series from half cents to Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles in up to 30 grades from Poor 1 through Mint State 70
You can use PCGS CoinFacts first to determine what kind of coin you have, then determine the approximate grade by matching it up with a similar image shown on PCGS Photograde Online, and then easily click to the PCGS Price Guide to get a ballpark estimate on the coin's current retail value when it's PCGS-certified," explained Willis.
Apple and iPhone are trademarks of Apple, Inc.
Founded in 1986, Professional Coin Grading Service is a division of Collectors Universe, Inc. (NASDAQ: CLCT), and represents the standard in third-party certification. PCGS experts have authenticated and graded more than 18 million coins with a combined total value of over $19 billion.
For additional information, contact PCGS by phone at (800) 447-8848 or by email at [email protected].