U.S. & World Coin News and Articles
Legend-Morphy to auction $2.5M bounty of numismatic rarities Feb. 28 at PCGS Member Only Coin Show
Connoisseurs' selection includes 1895 silver dollar dubbed "King of Morgans"
Following on the heels of its hugely successful December debut, Legend-Morphy is headed back to Las Vegas with another exciting trove of rare coins. The company will conduct a Feb. 28 Regency Auction – its second Las Vegas event – at The Venetian/The Palazzo in association with the prestigious PCGS Members Only Coin Show. The 335-lot sale includes a superb selection of primarily PCGS-graded US coins valued at $2.5 million.
"In our premiere event as the official auctioneer for the PCGS Members Only Show, bidders told us how much they liked our approach, which is to present a smaller, more highly refined selection of coins," said Legend-Morphy co-owner Dan Morphy. "Our February 28th auction has been planned along the same lines as the first sale."
Leading the parade of numismatic superstars is the $1 1895 PCGS PR65+ DCameo proof coin described in the auction catalog as "King of Morgans." One of 880 of its type to be minted, its mirrors are ultra deep and render a crystal clarity and dimension to Miss Liberty on obverse and the American Eagle on reverse.
"Even with a strong glass, you will find virtually no impairments – not even lines," said coin expert and Legend-Morphy co-owner Laura Sperber. "This silver dollar is a knockout, and we anticipate strong bidding on the top prize in our sale." It is expected to make in excess of $90,000.
Other Feb. 28 auction highlights include:
- $1 1900 PCGS PR68 DCameo, the ultimate 1900 proof Morgan. A similar coin (not 1900) sold last year for $100,000. Estimate: $80,000-$90,000
- $20 1909-D PCGS Secure MS66, ex Dr. Steven Duckor collection, exceptionally clean and satiny on both sides, a totally original coin. Estimate: $70,000-$80,000
- 1C-$1 1862 proof set, original and fully matched, the finest 1862 proof set in existence. Fantastic coloration and other qualities. From the Buckeye Commander collection. Opening bid: $67,500
- H10C 1796/5 PCGS MS64+ Eliasberg. Wonderful eye appeal. Miss Liberty and details are fully stuck, pristine surfaces, light semi-prooflike mirrors and strong luster. Ex-Eliasberg, the only known complete collection of half dimes. Offered without reserve. Estimate: $65,000+.
- $1 1798 Small Eagle 15 Stars B-2, BB-81 PCGS Secure AU55+. Formerly in personal collection of a major Bust Dollar dealer. Extremely rare in Choice AU and higher. Estimate: $50,000+.
- 50C 1859-O PCGS MS66. Second-finest known 1859O half. Carefully stored and handled since the day it was minted, this rare coin exhibits superior quality with perfect surfaces and finely struck details. Estimate: $24,000+
- $5 1874-CC PCGS AU58. Well-struck date, colors totally original. Would please even the pickiest collector. Estimate: $22,000+
- 1C 1909 VDB PCGS Secure PR64 BN. The Holy Grail of matte proof Lincolns. Very high quality. Last one to sell at a major auction brought $34,500. Estimate: $15,000+
- 20C 1875-CC PCGS MS65. Outstanding luster and clean, satiny surfaces. Miss Liberty and details are exceptionally well struck. Very rare date. Estimate: $15,000+.
"We look forward to seeing all our friends – old and new – out in Las Vegas, but if they cannot attend the auction in person, they can participate through our newly updated live-bidding platform," said Legend-Morphy's president, Julie Abrams. "Our goal is to continuously improve the Legend-Morphy auction experience and to be responsive to both our buyers and sellers."
The Thursday, Feb. 28 Regency Auction at the PCGS Members Only Show will commence at 6 p.m. Pacific Time in the Lando Room #4204 at The Venetian Resort Hotel & Casino, 3355 S. Las Vegas Blvd., Las Vegas, NV 89109. Additional bidding methods include absentee, phone and absentee/live via the Internet through the Legend-Morphy website, www.legendmorphy.com.
Table holders may preview all coins on Wednesday, Feb. 27 from 11 a.m.-6 p.m. and Thursday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Legend-Morphy Auction registrants, PCGS authorized dealers and Collectors Club members may preview all coins on Wednesday, Feb. 27 from 1-6 p.m. and Thursday, Feb. 28 from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Lot viewing on both days will take place on the bourse floor, Lando Room #4302.
For more information on any lot in the sale, call Julie Abrams at 717-598-3743 or e-mail [email protected]. View the fully illustrated catalog online at www.legendmorphy.com.