Connoisseurs' selection includes 1895 silver dollar dubbed "King of Morgans"
Following on the heels of its hugely successful December debut, Legend-Morphy is headed back to Las Vegas with another exciting trove of rare coins. The company will conduct a Feb. 28 Regency Auction – its second Las Vegas event – at The Venetian/The Palazzo in association with the prestigious PCGS Members Only Coin Show. The 335-lot sale includes a superb selection of primarily PCGS-graded US coins valued at $2.5 million.
"In our premiere event as the official auctioneer for the PCGS Members Only Show, bidders told us how much they liked our approach, which is to present a smaller, more highly refined selection of coins," said Legend-Morphy co-owner Dan Morphy. "Our February 28th auction has been planned along the same lines as the first sale."
Leading the parade of numismatic superstars is the $1 1895 PCGS PR65+ DCameo proof coin described in the auction catalog as "King of Morgans." One of 880 of its type to be minted, its mirrors are ultra deep and render a crystal clarity and dimension to Miss Liberty on obverse and the American Eagle on reverse.
"Even with a strong glass, you will find virtually no impairments – not even lines," said coin expert and Legend-Morphy co-owner Laura Sperber. "This silver dollar is a knockout, and we anticipate strong bidding on the top prize in our sale." It is expected to make in excess of $90,000.
Other Feb. 28 auction highlights include:
- $1 1900 PCGS PR68 DCameo, the ultimate 1900 proof Morgan. A similar coin (not 1900) sold last year for $100,000. Estimate: $80,000-$90,000
- $20 1909-D PCGS Secure MS66, ex Dr. Steven Duckor collection, exceptionally clean and satiny on both sides, a totally original coin. Estimate: $70,000-$80,000
- 1C-$1 1862 proof set, original and fully matched, the finest 1862 proof set in existence. Fantastic coloration and other qualities. From the Buckeye Commander collection. Opening bid: $67,500
- H10C 1796/5 PCGS MS64+ Eliasberg. Wonderful eye appeal. Miss Liberty and details are fully stuck, pristine surfaces, light semi-prooflike mirrors and strong luster. Ex-Eliasberg, the only known complete collection of half dimes. Offered without reserve. Estimate: $65,000+.
- $1 1798 Small Eagle 15 Stars B-2, BB-81 PCGS Secure AU55+. Formerly in personal collection of a major Bust Dollar dealer. Extremely rare in Choice AU and higher. Estimate: $50,000+.
- 50C 1859-O PCGS MS66. Second-finest known 1859O half. Carefully stored and handled since the day it was minted, this rare coin exhibits superior quality with perfect surfaces and finely struck details. Estimate: $24,000+
- $5 1874-CC PCGS AU58. Well-struck date, colors totally original. Would please even the pickiest collector. Estimate: $22,000+
- 1C 1909 VDB PCGS Secure PR64 BN. The Holy Grail of matte proof Lincolns. Very high quality. Last one to sell at a major auction brought $34,500. Estimate: $15,000+
- 20C 1875-CC PCGS MS65. Outstanding luster and clean, satiny surfaces. Miss Liberty and details are exceptionally well struck. Very rare date. Estimate: $15,000+.
"We look forward to seeing all our friends – old and new – out in Las Vegas, but if they cannot attend the auction in person, they can participate through our newly updated live-bidding platform," said Legend-Morphy's president, Julie Abrams. "Our goal is to continuously improve the Legend-Morphy auction experience and to be responsive to both our buyers and sellers."
The Thursday, Feb. 28 Regency Auction at the PCGS Members Only Show will commence at 6 p.m. Pacific Time in the Lando Room #4204 at The Venetian Resort Hotel & Casino, 3355 S. Las Vegas Blvd., Las Vegas, NV 89109. Additional bidding methods include absentee, phone and absentee/live via the Internet through the Legend-Morphy website, www.legendmorphy.com.
Table holders may preview all coins on Wednesday, Feb. 27 from 11 a.m.-6 p.m. and Thursday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Legend-Morphy Auction registrants, PCGS authorized dealers and Collectors Club members may preview all coins on Wednesday, Feb. 27 from 1-6 p.m. and Thursday, Feb. 28 from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Lot viewing on both days will take place on the bourse floor, Lando Room #4302.
For more information on any lot in the sale, call Julie Abrams at 717-598-3743 or e-mail [email protected]. View the fully illustrated catalog online at www.legendmorphy.com.