U.S. & World Coin News and Articles
ICYMI: The History of U.S. Coin Grading Webinar
The History of U.S. Coin Grading
Presented by Mike Sherman, PCGS Director of Education
New to coin grading or want a refresher course? This short webinar gets you up to speed on the history of coin grading in the United States.
From its origins in the mid-19th century through the modern advent of Photograde Online, coin grading has permanently altered the field of numismatics. This informative presentation from PCGS walks you through the evolution of coin grading since 1860 and covers such landmark events as:
- the publication of William Sheldon's 1949 book & 70-point grading scale;
- the first grading book by Brown and Dunn in 1958;
- Jim Ruddy's Photograde in 1970;
- the adoption of MS-60 and MS-65 in the early 1970s; and
- the formation of modern coin grading services like PCGS.
PCGS Director of Education Mike Sherman narrates and reviews of these topics against an informative presentation of slides, which can be downloaded below.