Legend Rare Coin Auctions’ first live auction of 2023 packs a powerful numismatic punch, beginning the sale with a collection that is as fresh as one can be – the Terra Pistacia Collection. Comprised mostly of patterns, nickel coinage, and a Territorial gold piece, these coins have been locked away since the Louis Eliasberg sale in 1996! The coins were purchased raw, submitted to PCGS at the time, and haven’t seen the light of day since. The quality is incredibly high end.
Following, LRCA is delighted to present Part IV of the Boylston Collection. Consisting of 131 mostly blast-white Mint State and intense black-and-white-contrasted Proof Liberty Seated Half Dollars. The previous three installments proved to be wildly popular with collectors across the board, and we expect the same enthusiasm for Part IV. The Boylston Collector assembled his collection over the last quarter century, many of these coins have been out of sight since then. Liberty Seated collectors of all levels, take note. This offering is special.
The firm is also pleased to offer a second portion of the Big Cypress Collection. Back in Regency Auction 49, we sold an array of early gold on behalf of the Big Cypress collector; this selection is comprised of mostly $3 gold pieces and Classic Head Half Eagles. The high-end quality is all there and then some.
Highlights abound, including:
- 50C 1859 J-253, PCGS PR65 – THE TERRA PISTACIA COLLECTION
- $1 1865 J-435, PCGS PR66RB – THE TERRA PISTACIA COLLECTION
- T$1 1875 J-1420, PCGS PR64 – THE TERRA PISTACIA COLLECTION
- 50C 1915 J-1792/1962, PCGS PR66RB
- $1 1776 CONTINENTAL CURRENCY, EG FECIT.; PEWTER, PCGS MS62
- 1/2C 1836 ORIGINAL, PCGS PR65RB
- 1C 1856 FLYING EAGLE, PCGS PR65
- 10C 1800, PCGS MS63
- 25C 1818/5 BROWNING-3, PCGS MS66
- 25C 1916 STANDING LIBERTY, PCGS MS65FH
- 50C 1827 SQUARE BASE 2, PCGS MS66
- 50C 1874-CC ARROWS, PCGS MS64 – THE BOYLSTON COLLECTION
- 50C 1848, PCGS PR64 – THE BOYLSTON COLLECTION
- T$1 1875, PCGS PR67
- $5 1838-C, PCGS AU53 – THE BIG CYPRESS COLLECTION
- $3 1889, PCGS PR65DCAM
- $20 1850, PCGS MS62+
“What a great sale!” exclaimed Laura Sperber, founder of Legend. “As you know, we have handled many of the greatest patterns in our career and are so excited for the patterns in the Terra Pistacia Collection, coins making their first appearance since the famed Eliasberg auction in 1996!”
“Eliasberg’s name ranks among the greatest collections of all times,” explained Jessica Berkman, president of Legend Auctions, “And this sale not only features Eliasberg coins in the Terra Pistacia Collection, but we also have other great type coins throughout the sale that were originally in the Eliasberg Collection. This is also one of our more diverse sales in the recent past, with great offerings in many different areas of American numismatics.”