1952 5 Shil 300th Ann Founding of Capetown, CAM PR67CAM Certification #19615033, PCGS #505704
*1947* The first time the South African Crown (5 Shillings) was struck in South Africa was in 1947 to commemorate King George VI's Royal Visit to the Union of South Africa. The coin was struck on the original Z.A.R. press that was in use by the Zuid Afrikaanche Republiek (1892-1902). The observe of the coin, an image of King George VI, was designed by Henry Paget (HP-below truncation of the neck). The well known reverse of the coin, the Springbok, a national symbol (on all Kruger Rands), was designed by the first South African artist's work to be used on a South African coin, Coert Steynberg (CLS). *1948* A design change was made to the obverse of the coin. The inscription was changed to GEORGIVS SEXTUS REX. With the independence of India in 1948, Great Britain was no longer regarded an empire and thus the removal of the word "IMPERATOR". *1951* A design change was made to the reverse of the coin. The Afrikaans "SUID-AFRIKA" moved to the left of the coin and "SOUTH AFRICA" to the right. The fonts were changed and "5 SHILLINGS" was abbreviated to "5S.". *1952* The reverse of the 1952 Crown changed to commemorate Jan van Riebeeck's arrival with the ship, the Drommedaris, in Table Bay (Table Mountain backdrop) at the Cape of Good Hope, 300 years earlier (1652). Van Riebeeck's mission was to establish a Dutch Refreshment Center and Colony to service VOC ships on their way from the Netherlands to India (the Dutch East India Company -VOC- abbreviation to the right of the ship) . The colony at the Cape of Good Hope was later to become the City of Cape Town. The reverse of the 1952 Crown was designed by Marion Walgate.
Auctions - PCGS Graded
Auctions - NGC Graded